When it comes to navigating the wide world of skin care products, we all know ingredients matter. However, a common misconception is that you need the latest and greatest high-tech formulas to transform your skin and get real results.
What many people tend to overlook is the fact that some of the best ingredients for your skin are actually very simple and come from Mother Nature herself. In fact, one of our favorite go-to ingredients is shea butter.
Shea Butter is derived from the meaty fat of shea nuts, shea butter has been used in beauty products for centuries, and once you learn about some of the amazing benefits, it’s easy to see why. So why do we love it so much? Let us count the ways:
Benefit #1: Shea butter is your BFF for eczema For products focused on healing and repairing eczema, shea butter is an essential staple due to its incredible anti-inflammatory, antifungal and antibacterial properties. It is gentle and non-irritating for even very sensitive skin, making it a great choice if you experience inflamed acne, redness, itchiness, flakiness, and other eczema symptoms. Studies have even shown that it can be as effective as some medicated creams for soothing and relieving struggling skin.
Benefit #2: Shea butter is ultra moisturizing Whether or not you experience eczema, shea butter can still be a game changer for dry or dehydrated skin because it is able to infuse the skin with a ton of nourishing hydration. Thanks to a high concentration of fatty acids, the rich butter of the shea nut is easily recognized by the skin, melting in to absorb, and locking in vital moisture. This can in turn help to smooth the skin, improve fine lines and wrinkles, and can even help with the appearance of stretch marks.
Benefit #3: Shea butter is naturally nutrient-dense Besides containing lots of skin-friendly fatty acids, shea butter is also packed with vitamins, antioxidants and other nutrients your skin loves. It features high levels of vitamins A and E, which are known to support skin repair and rejuvenation, protect against environmental damage from UV, fight free radicals, and promote better cellular turnover. Experts also believe it can support collagen synthesis for an overall anti-aging benefit. With so many perks, just about every skin type can benefit from incorporating a shea-butter based product into your daily routine. To help you get started, here are a few of our recommendations: Lizzie’s All-Natural products that contain shea butter:
● Artisan crafted soaps - For your daily cleansing ritual, our artisan soaps contain shea butter as a base, plus a host of other fabulous botanical oils. They work to deeply cleanse and purify your skin, removing unwanted surface debris, while also boosting your skin with moisture and all the benefits of shea.
● Whipped Shea Butter - All the beauty of rich shea in body butter form. For this one we combine shea butter with aloe, green tea, and other essential oils to create one luxe whipped butter that supports happy, hydrated skin and an allover glow.
● Eczema Oil - For eczema relief in a body oil format, our Eczema Oil is a great option. It is quick absorbing, filled with nourishing ingredients–including shea and coconut oils–and works to promote instant relief and repair.
● Eczema Butter - With an ultra gentle and soothing formula, our Eczema-targeting butter blends unrefined raw shea butter with sea buckthorn oil, colloidal oats, and Vitamin E for ultimate sensitive skin support.
● Chapstick - Don’t forget about your lips! For soothing dry and cracked lips, we enrich our chapstick with shea butter, vitamin E, and organic beeswax. The result is moisture that lasts and protects your lips all day long.
References: “Patient acceptability, efficacy, and skin biophysiology of a cream and cleanser containing lipid complex with shea butter extract versus a ceramide product for eczema” By K L Hon, Y C Tsang, N H Pong, Vivian W Y Lee, N M Luk, C M Chow, and T F Leung https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26314567/